July 6, 2011

Turning the Page to a New Kind of Adventure

Ok, I finally am getting this reflection of my new retired life started...and yes, I am sitting on the back porch while I do so!

I closed the book on my long-time professionally-related blog (but retain the right to go back to it whenever the spirit moves me.) This blog will reflect more of my personal thoughts about all kinds of things. I am basically doing it a  a record for myself, my children, and the few friends who will give up a few minutes to see what's going on in my new little corner of the world.

There is nothing significant about today's start date...except that I am starting. I had grand plans of journaling about the building of my new house as a part of this new chapter but that didn't happen. The girls and I (and other interested parties) got to share enough of that either in person or in bits and pieces on FB.

Today is officially the 6th day of my retirement and it is pretty much been a quiet time. Just trying to get my "house" in order as a result of my wayward life over the last few months, be it the actual house or the loose ends related to ending a job multiple decades old!

I have moved into a brand new neighborhood where the construction teams outnumber the residents at least 10-12 to 1!  I enjoy watching all the comings and goings and watching the other houses in various stages of completion...my second time in life to be a part of a new growing neighborhood. One of the best benefits is that ALL the neighbors are new and many of us are working hard at getting to know each other...not always the case in more established places. Yes, I know..we have one pretty important advantage...we are all retired and have the luxury of time!

No pictures yet...too many cardboard boxes still sitting around...and no camera at the moment. Darn, they make you turn in all your toys when you leave a job!

So, here's to the first post. Not really what I had thought I would write when I first envisioned this new adventure, but it is what it is.

Oops, the sprinklers are coming on so I have to go in...and the bunny who regularly stops by to nibble of the excellent crop of weeds and crab grass that has sprouted up in my yard has scampered off home as well.

See you (maybe) around the back porch as I explore this new adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Your mention of the bunny, I think is significant. From our front porch we are learning the personalities of so far 22 species of birds. One thing I have noticed is that even birds have bad days some times and get crotchety with their fellow birds. The scenery changes but life goes on sometimes much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are still blogging! I look forward to hearing more about your "new adventure" and I'm sure I will be visiting that famed porch! You're just too close to the route to my parents' and my sister to avoid me! Miss you already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vaughn, I too am "retired" from the (physical) school library, but remain a librarian to my family, friends & former students and coworkers. Can't help but share that just-right piece of information with someone...

    SBISD was so nice to let non-district folks play along on Library2Play 23 Things & 11.5 Things - that started me on the blogging way.

    Now I have 2 blogs -the Katyroo one is being used for cpd23 (another 23 Things from British school librarians) and I recommend YA books beyond the bestsellers at BooksYALove.

    Hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I am! And I bet you'll be busier than ever... say hi to the birds & bunnies for me.

    **Katy M
    Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

    ReplyDelete