July 13, 2011

The First Month

It's been a month since I signed my life away and became the owner of my little hillside vista. But only 14 days of actually living here so I get a pass on not being totally unpacked and organized! Of course the fact that I can't decide where to put some things and the fact that there is no space for some other things has nothing to do with the continued chaos I find myself living in! Time, just a bit more time, and this part will be a mere memory.

I have had family come see me and that has been great! Both girls have been twice. I reallllly want that to happen more often. It was fun planning for them and spending time with them on simple tasks and mindless conversation. I have missed that a lot.  Another part of my little family made an impromptu stop on their way from point A to B through the state and I was so glad I was home when they called. I want those kinds of visits to happen too!

And now a Houston friend is coming tomorrow for an impromptu albeit quick visit. She is moving far away shortly and I am really glad to get this chance to see her before she takes off!

And I went to Austin on Saturday to do a little library-related volunteering. Will write a little more about that later. Am waiting for some info to share!

I am trying to develop my routine despite the unpacking and the fact that my days and nights are somewhat confused. I was warned that would happen, and it does cause the need for a little afternoon nap sometimes! O dear, having to work in a nap...such an interruption in my busy day!

I have started my walking routine and walked to the activities center the other day...even tho' 2 neighbors were concerned about the heat. No problem...a lovely breeze and smooth sidewalk. I have done orientation so I can now officially start using the facilities and take some classes...one small problem...need to finish the unpacking first!

Did make the farmers' market on Tuesday and got some lovely off-the-vine ripe tomatoes and great potatoes. Think I have missed many of the other vegetable opportunities because of the heat and lack of rain. But it was fun to come home and cook up a skillet of sliced potatoes and onions and eat those with a fresh sliced tomato. Reminded me of what we used to do when the girls were little on our visits to Hawaii back in my other life. Good eating!

Have enjoyed several days of beautiful skies filled with clouds making for nice sunsets, but NO rain from the back porch. Thanks friends to the south for sending them this way but could you manage to leave a little water in them. My grass really would appreciate the drink and it sure would help with the lovely dust created by the construction guys...especially when they are using the giant rock cutter...it makes such a lovely fine white dust!

Ok, no pictures AND no links...this might be a record of some kind for me. No camera access yet and there just is nothing to link at this point...breaks one of my cardinal rules...should always have links! O well, maybe next time.

See ya on the porch.

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! I can't imagine you not being in the school system somewhere... what a loss to our district! I can't wait to read more and I am glad we are friends on fb so I can find you and keep up with what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear about you! I miss you already, but I know that we will muddle through somehow... Enjoy your visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading you first post from the back porch. I can't wait to see it for myself. I'll miss you but sometimes distance is a good thing because it allows us to appreciate what we had and treasure the future times. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted you are blogging again! Keep it up (in between naps!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place for a bunch of friends to gather and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you're still writing...envious of your new lifestyle...glad you are enjoying yourself and doing some things just for you!

    ReplyDelete