September 11, 2011

Reflections of a Personal and Historical Nature

Over the last few weeks, because of personal changes and events, tragic and scary current events, and historical markers on the national calendar, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on change in my life, my family, my neighborhood, my country.

I am a student of history and the events replayed and reviewed in the media the last few days about the events of September 11, 2001, got a lot of my attention. Although the terrible events did not touch me personally, I was affected by what happened and the changes on my life. I remember 10 years ago wishing above all else, I could gather my girls around me. Neither were in harm's way, but both were too far away for me that day. One was merely across the district in a different school building from me and the other was only down the road, but for most of that day, they might as well have been on the moon. I reached other family members by phone pretty quickly JUST to hear their voices, but only started breathing once I could hug the stuffing out of one daughter at day's end...and finally get the other on a long distance line. I can not measure what those most directly affected in such terrible ways that day felt. I only know how I felt when I could not be with my family simply because of distance and time.

Ten years later, because of events in my personal life, I have spent time with both of my girls in the last few days, and with other members of my family. I am glad about that. I spent today itself with one daughter doing unimportant things, but loving every minute we had together. Yes, we reflected on the importance of today, how we felt about certain stories we had reviewed over the last few days, but also included thoughts about things more personal that had occurred in our own little world.

Because of where I now live, and her current location, I have spent a lot of time recently watching the skies, smelling the air, and keeping an eye on what I might need to grab quickly. For many years, I had practiced hurricane preparedness (and put it into action a few times.) Now because of a new address and the severe and historic drought and record-breaking summer temperatures, we have had a new concern--wildfires. I had been following them from a different spot in the state and was very worried the evening of Labor Day when I realized some were very close to where both of us lived. Once again, time and distance separated me from my children and I really did not like it. As the parent of grown children, you get used to them not being around every day, but there are many days you don't have to like the idea.

We were and continue to be fortunate that we have escaped the fires...so far, but I checked in with her today...yes, both of us remain on alert...just in case.

Because of retiring and moving to a new community, I have spent a lot of time going through personal belongings and remembering the occasions behind items and in particular, family pictures. Also because of the freedom of a retirement schedule, I had the opportunity to spend time with other family members, my older daughter and my brother and sister. Once again the opportunity to indulge in "do you remember" conversations and reflect on how life has changed over the last few years came my way.  I was very happy to have the chance to share this time...definitely one of the benefits of cutting loose of a demanding work schedule. The ability to "go" pretty much at the drop of a hat IS a nice retirement perk!

But I also found out how much, in such a short period of time, I have become accustom to my new little routine and my quiet, slow, small-town life. I missed my daily routine, my cute little new house, and my comfortable old bed while I was away having a bit of an adventure. I was glad to go, but ever so glad to get home. My time away allowed me the luxury of appreciating my life and counting my blessings.

However you spent today, whether reflecting on its significance, or not, I hope it was a good day for you full of people and pleasures that bring you joy. It was a good one for me, one among many I have found myself enjoying recently for a variety of reasons.

Hope you can count tomorrow among the good ones for whatever reason.
See you sooner next time!

2 comments:

  1. My reflections were similar and different. I also have spent recent times with my children. I don't feel the need to worry about them related to an event unless the event is their car is broken and they ask how to go about getting it fixed. However, I have a great need to make sure they know how much I love and respect them. I think I consciously tried to do this while raising them but if I regret anything it is that I did not tell them MORE how much I love and respect them. The same goes for all the great people I have had the good fortune to associate with during my life. Although I consciously tried to build them up and let them know how much I respected them, again I only wish I had told them MORE. I now consider it my task to help my children express to their children love and respect more than they do, more than I did. There can never be enough love expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently, I have spend a lot of time in the house I grew up in with my siblings as we packed up and moved our dad into assisted living. It was great fun to relive so many moments with everyone, see little trinkets that meant something to each of us, and just spend the time with one another. Our dad has been especially affectionate these days, I think feeling much of the same that Barry expressed above. I, in turn, have focused on also expressing that love with my own kids.

    Love is what makes the world go 'round!

    ReplyDelete