August 19, 2011

7 Weeks: The Pieces Are Falling Into Place

Seven weeks ago I came home to my little hillside retreat and opened the door to retirement. I spent the month of July putting my household and, therefore, much of my life back together. I had lived in flux since January and was so happy to finally get things unpacked and organized (sort of). Dealt with all the requisite things associated with a move involving changing cities. There is a lot more involved then when you move a mere 5-6 miles across town. I had forgotten some of the finer details since it had been 32 years since I had changed locations! The house needed a bit of tweaking but nothing that required anything more than a bit of time by several pleasant and helpful workmen.

Of course, moving in the midst of a history-making heat wave added a bit of a curve ball to some of the plans. My newly planted grass is hanging on by a thread. I stand out and admire how well the weeds are surviving...in fact, I let the yardman start just so he could make the weeds look well-groomed! And my garage is still pretty messy and unorganized. It is just going to have to get cooler before I can attack the mess successfully.

So the boxes are unpacked, the furniture is in place, and I have only reorganized two drawers. No, the pictures are not hung yet...that is always the last thing I do. Just hate to poke holes in the wall so I try to be absolutely sure before committing myself!

Ok, July was busy, but then along came August and I started one of my major objectives...getting involved in the lifestyle available in my new community...a major reason I chose to come here. I literally jumped into water aerobics and I go 5 days a week. Am considering adding some more classes next month. Water zumba! Why? Because I like the music they work out with.  My new neighbors and old friends attend some of the classes so that doubles the fun.

I have joined the line dancing class along with four of my new neighbors...we have really bonded over this adventure. It is fun, but I also refer to it as torture..not the physical kind...torture of the mind. My head, not my feet, hurts after each class. Even with tutoring, both class and personal, I have only managed to mangle two out of the four dances set for the next social. O well! Can't wait to see what gets added next month!

I have signed up to be a volunteer at the city library...a really nice facility that is actually available SEVEN days a week. Having come from a major city that practically has no services on weekends (and hasn't for several years), I am so impressed that my new little town sees the value of its bricks and mortar service to the community. I have made several visits to check out what's available and to get back in one of my favorite library things...reading ALL the magazines! I am sure I will have tales to tell once the volunteer sessions get started.

And I really went off in a very different direction by joining the Fabric and Fiber group to participate in the beadwork SIG. I am NOT artistic at all, but I have wanted to mess with artsy stuff for some time and beading holds an appeal. I have wanted to do stained glass for years through the community education division of the school district I just left and never could work it into my schedule. I see that possibility on my radar here in my new community...after I get more comfortable. These artsy folks are SERIOUS about their creations and I figure I can do little damage to myself (and others) by starting small.

One more note this go-round. I am here to be involved, but to be involved with people. Moving into a brand new neighborhood still under construction. Only seven houses on our small street are currently occupied so we are all in the business of getting to know each other and help each other adapt to this new lifestyle. I have an old friend and new old friends who live around the community and that has been fun mixing with them and the neighbors. And most importantly, I have old friends (and family!) who have come to visit..for an hour, a day or a weekend. I really like that part too!

Yes, I will get some pictures going soon. Gee, did you notice, I finally added hot links. I am on a roll!
Hopefully, I can report next time from the porch!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! You really make me want to retire! It sounds like you are having the "time of your life"! Good for you, you deserve it!!! BTW, I love the hot links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you sound busier than when you worked! So happy it's all falling into place because SBISD is falling apart and you really don't want to be around to see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! I know I've said it before, but I am. And I miss you terribly! We are muddling through the start of the year without you. As usual, I'm so ready for the kids to be back. It's always better with the kids! I'll be in touch about a visit in September.

    ReplyDelete